Literature - EC: L.N.1.2.1
Continuum of Activities
The list below represents a continuum of activities: resources categorized by Standard/Eligible Content that teachers may use to move students toward proficiency. Using LEA curriculum and available materials and resources, teachers can customize the activity statements/questions for classroom use.
This continuum of activities offers:
- Instructional activities designed to be integrated into planned lessons
- Questions/activities that grow in complexity
- Opportunities for differentiation for each student’s level of performance
- Find at least five key vocabulary words (nouns, verbs, adjectives) in a text.
- For each vocabulary word, use context clues to construct the word’s definition.
- Compare each vocabulary word’s definition to the dictionary definition.
- Construct a chart for each word in which you list both another synonym for the original word and an antonym.
- Re-write the original sentence in which the word appeared using a synonym instead.
- Write original sentences using each antonym. Be sure to use the antonym in context to show that you understand the definition.
- Students select at least 5 grade level vocabulary words from a text. These 5 should cover a range of parts of speech and should come from sentences that help to illustrate their definition.
- Students are able to construct a working definition of each word using only the text itself.
- Students should be able to evaluate their working definitions arrived at through context clues to that of the word’s dictionary definition.
- Students accurately make a chart to fill in the original word’s synonym and an antonym. Students may find these words on their own or by using a dictionary and/or thesaurus. Make sure students understand the definitions of their new synonyms and antonyms.
- Students demonstrate understanding of the synonym by re-writing the original sentence with the synonym. Students should not just drop in the synonym in the original word’s place, but re-organize and rephrase the original sentence.
- Students demonstrate understanding of the antonym by writing their own original sentences with context clues.
Suggested Rubric: This rubric may be used to assess a student’s overall mastery of the standard or eligible content.