Grade 04 ELA - EC: E04.B-K.1.1.2
Continuum of Activities
The list below represents a continuum of activities: resources categorized by Standard/Eligible Content that teachers may use to move students toward proficiency. Using LEA curriculum and available materials and resources, teachers can customize the activity statements/questions for classroom use.
This continuum of activities offers:
- Instructional activities designed to be integrated into planned lessons
- Questions/activities that grow in complexity
- Opportunities for differentiation for each student’s level of performance
- Provide details to the support the main idea (provided by the teacher) for a reading passage.
- List key details that help support the provided main idea for a reading passage.
- Distinguish between the main idea of a text and the key details found in a reading passage.
- Summarize a reading passage.
- Summarize a reading passage citing the main idea and include key details to support the main idea.
- Compare 2 reading passages with similar main ideas and compare how the supporting details, although different in each reading, support the same main idea.
- Teacher will provide the main idea of a reading passage. Student will identify key details that validate the main idea.
- Teacher will provide the main idea of a passage. Student will complete a graphic organizer to identify main idea and supporting details.
- Student will read a passage and identify the main idea and supporting details. Student will distinguish the difference between the main idea and supporting details and will be able to support the claim of main idea. Student may use a graphic organizer to illustrate these differences.
- Student will read a passage and will provide a summary of the passage. The student will include a main idea and details to support that main idea. The student should take care to provide a summary rather than a retelling of the events or a list of details.
- Student will summarize a reading passage. The summary must include the main idea of the passage and any key ideas that support the main idea. The summary may also include inferences made by the student that support the main idea.
- Student will read at least two reading passages with the same main idea. Student will identify the main idea of each passage and document the key details that support the main idea. Student will compare and contrast the key details and how those ideas from both passages support the same main idea.