Educator Professional Development Resource
Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Education
Act 48 Courses/PD Center
Frequently Asked Questions
- Recent legislation and amendments to Chapter 49 detail requirements for both induction and continuing professional education.
- Act 55 of 2022 opens in new window
- Chapter 49 opens in new window
- Structured Literacy
- Structured literacy is defined as systematic, explicit instruction that provides a strong core of foundational skills in the language systems of English, integrates listening, speaking, reading, spelling, and writing and emphasizes the structure of language across the speech sound system (phonology), the writing system (orthography), the structure of sentences (syntax), the meaningful parts of words (morphology), the relationships among words (semantics), and the organization of spoken and written discourse.
- Structured Literacy Program Framework Guidelines opens in new window
- Structured Literacy eBook opens in new window
- Professional Ethics
- Professional Ethics is defined as the standards of behavior, values, and principles that inform and guide professional decision-making. These standards of behavior, values and principles include those detailed in the Pennsylvania Model Code of Ethics for Educators, as adopted by the Professional Standards and Practices Commission.
- Professional Ethics Program Framework Guidelines opens in new window
- Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Education
- Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Education is defined as education that ensures equity for all students and seeks to eliminate systemic institutional racial and cultural barriers that inhibit the success of all students in this Commonwealth—particularly those who have been historically underrepresented. Culturally relevant and sustaining education encompasses skills for educators including, but not limited to, approaches to mental wellness, trauma- informed approaches to instruction, technological and virtual engagement, cultural awareness and emerging factors that inhibit equitable access for all students in this Commonwealth.
- Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Education Framework Guidelines opens in new window
- Act 48 Courses/PD Center
- The SAS PD Center offers Act 48 courses related to each of the three program framework guidelines:
- * Structured Literacy is a 10-hour Act 48 course that examines the research that supports this approach, identifies the key features and content of Structured Literacy, and examines/aligns current instructional practices.
- * Professional Ethics is a 5-hour course that explores the behaviors, values, and principles that guide professional decision-making. Coming soon
- * Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Education is a 5-hour course that addresses bias, introduces culturally-relevant real-world experiences into the classroom, offers equitable and differentiated opportunities to learn and succeed, reflects on one’s cultural lens, and promotes asset-based perspectives about differences. Coming soon
- This brief presentation highlights the recent legislation related to teacher pre-service, induction, and continuing professional development requirements.
- Program Requirements Overview Downloads a PowerPoint file
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions provide clarification on the implementation of the Program Framework Guidelines.
- Frequently Asked Questions Opens up a PDF file in a new tab