Literature - EC: L.N.1.2.2
Continuum of Activities
The list below represents a continuum of activities: resources categorized by Standard/Eligible Content that teachers may use to move students toward proficiency. Using LEA curriculum and available materials and resources, teachers can customize the activity statements/questions for classroom use.
This continuum of activities offers:
- Instructional activities designed to be integrated into planned lessons
- Questions/activities that grow in complexity
- Opportunities for differentiation for each student’s level of performance
- Recall the definitions of affixes, prefixes, suffixes and stems.
- Recognize common prefixes and suffixes.
- Find at least 5 words from a text with an affix.
- Create a chart in which words are separated into their prefixes, stems and suffixes.
- Suggest definitions of the prefixes, stems and suffixes for each of your words.
- Add an affix to a word to change its original meaning, using an affix from a vocabulary word or from another source.
- Using your chart of affixes and stems, determine the meaning of another word with the same affix or stem.
- Students will be able to distinguish the meaning and purpose between affixes (prefixes and suffixes) and stems.
- Students will be able to identify common prefixes and suffixes.
- Students will be able to find and identify at least 5 words in a text that have an affix in them.
- By using a chart or graphic organizer, students will be able to break down words into their appropriate and correct affixes and stems.
- Students will be able to estimate working definitions of affixes and stems by using context clues from the text. Students should be able to compare their estimations to dictionary definitions.
- Students will be able to create new versions of words by adding an affix. Students will be able to recognize that words are made up of other little words.
- Students will be able to guess the meaning of words by their affixes.
Suggested Rubric: This rubric may be used to assess a student’s overall mastery of the standard or eligible content.