Grade 07 ELA - EC: E07.B-C.2.1.2
Continuum of Activities
The list below represents a continuum of activities: resources categorized by Standard/Eligible Content that teachers may use to move students toward proficiency. Using LEA curriculum and available materials and resources, teachers can customize the activity statements/questions for classroom use.
This continuum of activities offers:
- Instructional activities designed to be integrated into planned lessons
- Questions/activities that grow in complexity
- Opportunities for differentiation for each student’s level of performance
English Language Arts
- Look at the informational text. What are the subtitles of each section titled?
- Assuming the informational text has a graphic or chart, what purpose does this infographic serve in the text?
- Based on the subtitles, infer what each section in the text will discuss.
- Summarize the key points in each subtitle section of the text.
- Assuming the informational text has a graphic or chart, compare the information found in the infographic with the information presented in the written text.
- Assess whether the author has included enough information through the written text and any infographics to make a compelling argument/discussion. Provide relevant, accurate textual evidence in support of your assessment.
- Students will be able to locate each subtitle in the text and will be able to name the subtitle section based on the information provided in the text.
- Students will be able to locate an infographic (graphic or chart) and will be able to read the information presented in it to explain why the infographic was included in the text.
- Students will be able to infer what each subtitle section will discuss in relation to the whole text. Students should use inference skills and literal-level reading comprehension skills to guess what information the author will include in each subtitle section.
- Students will be able to accurately summarize the information in each subtitle section in relation to the whole text.
- Students will be able to compare the information in the written text with information presented in the infographic. Students will demonstrate an understanding of how to read information presented in images and graphs and will compare the information presented in those formats with the information the author discussed in the text.
- Students will assess whether the author has provided sufficient, relevant details in support of a claim or argument. Students will cite relevant, accurate textual evidence in support of their assessment.