Grade 04 ELA - EC: E04.A-K.1.1.2
Continuum of Activities
The list below represents a continuum of activities: resources categorized by Standard/Eligible Content that teachers may use to move students toward proficiency. Using LEA curriculum and available materials and resources, teachers can customize the activity statements/questions for classroom use.
This continuum of activities offers:
- Instructional activities designed to be integrated into planned lessons
- Questions/activities that grow in complexity
- Opportunities for differentiation for each student’s level of performance
- Identify the details of a text, and use them to determine a theme.
- Identify the theme of a reading text.
- Distinguish the difference between the theme and the main idea of a reading passage.
- Summarize the given reading passage, stating the main idea and theme.
- Differentiate between the theme and main idea of a reading passage.
- Construct a summary of the reading passage including details of a reading passage.
- Student identifies details from a text and uses those details to determine the theme of the story. The student should select details, rather than main ideas for this exercise.
- Student identifies the theme of a reading passage. Student should use details from the story to help support their theme.
- When given both the theme and main idea of a passage, the student will show differences between theme and main idea of the reading passage. When presented with the theme and main ideas of the reading passage, student needs to understand and articulate the differences between them.
- Student summarizes reading passage citing details and clues provided in the reading passage. The summary should include both concrete details and inferences from the story.
- Student will find the theme and main idea of a text, and will determine differences between them. Student should use specific examples from the reading passage to support ideas. The theme is the moral message or lesson of the story, the main idea is what the story is mostly about.
- Student summarizes the reading passage including explicit details from the story as well as implicit details derived from inferences made during the reading. Summaries should also include theme and main ideas.