Black History Month Committee Poem or Dance Contest for Schools
You are invited to celebrate Black History Month with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's Multi-Agency Black History Month Committee. The national theme for Black History Month 2023 is Black Resistance, which focuses on African Americans resistance to historic racism, and discrimination in all forms including statutory, employment, education, housing, economic, faith, sports, culture, etc. since America’s initial beginnings.
In observance of this year’s theme, the Committee will be hosting a Poem or Dance Contest among high school students to emphasize Black Resistance. A winner will be selected from each of the categories. Each winner will receive a prize and will be formally recognized at the event.
The event itself will consist of a panel discussion, entertainment, slide show, and an awards ceremony announcing the winners of the contest. The event will highlight four key topics in the furtherance of the national theme:
Black History Program (Virtual)
Thursday, February 23, 2023
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
To RSVP or ask questions, please call 717-787-6166 or email email@example.com.
Black History Month Contest
The national theme for Black History Month 2023 is Black Resistance which focuses on African Americans resistance to all forms of historic racism and discrimination. This year’s contest is meant to spread a message of education and encouragement, designed to stimulate discussion and bridge cultures in furtherance of the national theme.
Below are the rules for the contest:
Forms of submission:
- Dance Video
Disclaimer: All submissions will become property of the Commonwealth’s Multi-Agency Black History Month Committee and will not be returned. All submissions will be held in accordance with the record retention schedule for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Eligibility: The contest is open to current high school students in grades 9-12 who reside in and attend school in Pennsylvania.
Poem Rules: The poem must have two parts: 1) Title page, 2) Poem. The poem must be listed in a separate page and not reference the applicant's name or information.
- Title Page Contents:
- Poem title
- Applicant’s name, grade, address, phone number & email
- Applicant’s high school name & address
- Principal’s name, address, phone & email address
- Poem Contents:
- Poem can be written in any poetic style
Dance Video Rules:
- Title Page Contents:
- Dance title
- Applicant(s) name(s), grade(s), address(es), phone number(s) & email(s)
- Applicant(s) high school name & address
- Principal’s name, address, phone number & email address
- Video Contents:
- Video recording not to exceed three (3) minutes in length
- By submitting a video for the event, you and participants grant consent for all or part of the video to be used by the Multi-Agency Black History Month Committee, and authorizes its rebroadcast on multiple platforms utilized by the Committee
Submission Deadline: All submissions must be made by the High School Principal. Submissions must be submitted no later than Friday, January 20, 2023, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Multi-Agency Black History Month Committee believes this event to be educational and encourages student participation.