Meet Ryan D. Hardesty: Pennsylvania’s 2023 Teacher of the Year!
PDE congratulates Ryan D. Hardesty, Pennsylvania’s 2023 Teacher of the Year. A seventh and eighth grade social studies teacher at Highland Middle School in the Blackhawk School District, Ryan describes his guiding philosophy: “The goal of education is to meet the specific needs of the diverse set of learners that come into our classrooms. To do so, we should plan engaging and rigorous work that pushes students to reach their full potential.”
As Pennsylvania’s Teacher of the Year, Hardesty will travel the state, meet, and collaborate with other educators, and will represent the commonwealth in next year’s National Teacher of the Year competition.
The Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year program celebrates excellence in teaching, honors individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the young people of Pennsylvania, and selects a nominee for the National Teacher of the Year award.
The Teacher of the Year selection process is rigorous. In addition to holding an active teaching certificate, finalists meet the following criteria:
- Possess dedication and pedagogical knowledge
- Incorporate effective and innovative instructional strategies
- Inspire students of all backgrounds to learn
- Garner respect and admiration of students, parents, and colleagues
- Play an active role in the school and community
- Exhibit poise, articulation, and exceptional communication skills
Nominate an educator for the 2024 Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year!