Use meaning and knowledge of words (e.g., synonyms, antonyms) across content areas to develop a speaking and reading vocabulary.
1.4.2.B Write informational pieces using illustrations when relevant (e.g., descriptions, letters, single-topic reports, instructions).
1.1.2.B Use knowledge of phonics and word recognition (e.g., root words, prefixes, suffixes, and syllabication) to decode and understand new words during reading.
1.2.2.E Read, understand, and respond to essential content of text in all academic areas.
Know and apply grade level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
- Decode two-syllable words with long vowels and words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- Read grade level high-frequency sight words and words with inconsistent but common spelling-sound correspondences.
- Read grade-appropriate irregularly spelled words.
CC.1.2.1.B Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
CC.1.2.1.F Ask and answer questions to help determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases in a text.
CC.1.2.1.J Use words and phrases acquired through conversations, reading, and being read to, and responding to texts, including words that signal connections and relationships between the words and phrases.
CC.1.2.2.F Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in grade level text including multiple-meaning words.
CC.1.3.1.I Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning word and phrases based on grade level reading and content
CC.1.3.2.I Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning word and phrases based on grade level reading and content, choosing from a range of strategies and tools.
CC.1.3.2.J Acquire and use grade-appropriate conversational, general academic, and domain-specific words and phrases.
CC.1.4.2.A Write informative/ explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
Demonstrate a grade appropriate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and spelling.
- Capitalize proper nouns.
- Use commas and apostrophes appropriately.
- Spell words drawing on common spelling patterns.
- Consult reference material as needed.